Your military service may have earned you the equivalent of college credit. This can reduce the time it takes to earn your degree and any costs you may have associated with your degree program. To find out if any of your credits transfer, you'll need to:
There are many ways Strayer University makes it possible for you to receive college-level credit, saving time and money on your degree. Our Transcript Evaluation Center can review your military training and corporate experience, prior college, certifications, CLEP and DSST. Primary specialties and courses are researched in the appropriate American Council on Education (ACE) Guidebook. Credits granted do not apply toward Strayer University’s residency requirement. Our transfer credit policy can provide additional information. Strayer University is a member of the SOC Degree Network System and participates in the SOC Program which is a cooperative civilian and military effort designed to link service members to institutions that provide high quality education while maximizing the proper award of academic credit for military training and experience, and alternative testing, and facilitating the transferability of credits. Strayer is also a participating school with the Navy College Distance Learning Program (NCDLP) as well as Air University’s – ABC Program.
Your Military Admissions Officer can further explain what we look for and answer your questions.
Note for SOC Students: A campus representative will enter the request for an SOC agreement. Evaluations are conducted following University policies and procedures. Students participating in the SOC program are an exception to the basic residency requirement. An SOC agreement is prepared once the evaluation of the student's educational and military transcripts has been completed. Due to the fact that military experience can drastically alter a student's curriculum, it is important that all military experience be evaluated before an SOC agreement is issued. Reminders will be sent to service members whose military transcripts have not been received. After the evaluation, the SOC coordinator will prepare the SOC agreement and forward all necessary paperwork to the student and pertinent agencies. Upon attendance at any other institution, as outlined in the SOC agreement, SOC students must complete a Request to Pursue Courses at Other Institutions Form prior to enrollment at another institution.
The Transcript Evaluation center (TEC) conducts all military transcript evaluations in accordance with the University policy. Proper documentation is required in order to award credit:
- Joint Services Transcript (JST) can be obtained by completing the request form on the JST website. Request to have your official transcript sent to Strayer University. Additionally, you can provide an unofficial copy (if available) to your Admissions Officer.
- Prior college transcripts can be ordered when you complete your admissions application by selecting the schools attending from a drop down menu. Unofficial transcripts may be provided (if available) to your Admissions Officer.
- Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript information can be found on the CCAF website.
- Make copies of any professional Certifications you have received and provide those to your Admissions Officer.
- CLEP and DSST transcripts can be requested when completing your application for admission or ordered directly from the CLEP or DSST websites.
Please note: The American Council on Education does NOT consider the DD Form 2586 an official form and it is not used for evaluation purposes. This form is used for clarification purposes only.
If the experience on the DD Form 295 or DD Form 214 is abbreviated or indefinable, it is to the student's advantage to do one or more of the following to assist in the evaluation process:
- Submit a AARTS transcript, if applicable.
- Include military course numbers and American Council on Education (ACE) course ID numbers.
- Include additional documents that clarify abbreviated courses or verify the skill level of a primary specialty.
If you haven’t already requested your official transcripts, your Military Admissions Officer can assist you with that and/or other acceptable documentation from your military branch and will send them to our Transfer Credit Evaluation Services Department for review. Once your evaluation is complete, you will receive a copy of your results through your iCampus account. You can also obtain a copy of the evaluation from your Admissions Officer. Unofficial evaluations may be requested using unofficial transcripts or copies. Note that unofficial evaluations are an approximation of credit that may be awarded based on the information provided.