Policies Regarding Challenge Exams
There is a non-refundable fee for taking a Challenge Exam of $100.
Students may not take a Challenge Exam in their final term.
Challenge Exams are graded as pass/fail. A minimum score of 80% will be considered for academic credit.
If you fail the exam you must register for the course at Strayer University, you may not transfer the course into the University to fulfill the requirement.
Credit for the course does not apply toward the residency requirements for your certificate/diploma or degree program. Please refer to the catalog for the residency requirement for your specific program.
Challenge Exams are counted toward a student’s total number of credit that is transferred in. Please refer to the maximum number of transfer credit allowed for your program to ensure you are eligible.
Each Challenge Exam is $100, non-refundable.
ProctorU charges an additional $8.75 if you want to take the test immediately.
How to Apply for a Challenge Exam
You are requesting to take a Challenge Exam in order to waive a course in your undergraduate certificate/diploma or degree program at Strayer University.
In order for you to have access to the exam, the following steps must be followed:
- Confirm that a Challenge Exam exists for the course for which you are seeking credit. Visit the Challenge Exam page to see the list of courses, or contact the Academics Office at your home campus for clarification.
- Complete the Challenge Exam Application Form.
- Submit your Challenge Exam Application Form to your home campus Academics Office. It is recommended you submit the Application Form electronically to your Campus Dean's e-mail address.
- Pay the $100 fee per exam through the Business Office.
Once the Dean has reviewed and approved your request, within 5 days you will receive specific instructions pertaining to your exam, including how to access the exam and the exam deadline. Students are typically given 2 hours to complete the exam.
Upon completion of the exam, the Discipline Administrator will grade your results. In order to obtain credit for the Challenge Exam course, you must complete the exam with a minimum score of 80%. You will receive an e-mail with your results within 10 days of taking the exam. Should you not receive a response within this time frame you may contact your home campus Academics Office for information on obtaining the results of your exam.
Please be aware of the following policies regarding Challenge Exams:
- Challenge Exams are graded as pass/fail regardless of the grade received on the exam.
- A passing score is considered 80% or higher.
- You may take the test only once for each course. If you fail the exam, you must register for the course at Strayer University, and you may not transfer the course into the University to fulfill the requirement.
- Credit for the course does not apply toward the residency requirements for your certificate/diploma or degree program. Please click here for the residency requirements for your specific program.
- In addition, Challenge Exams are counted toward a student’s total number of transfer credits. Please click here to see the maximum number of transfer credit allowed for your program to ensure you are eligible.