At Strayer University, we think you deserve credit for your life learning. If there is not a CLEP, DSST or Challenge Exam available, we use the procedures of the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) to evaluate credit for undergraduate courses. Evaluations are done on a course-by-course basis. We evaluate knowledge that you have gained outside the college classroom for possible credit toward a degree. If your experiential learning is comparable to the content of a specific course, credit may be granted for that course.
How can I submit an Experiential Learning Portfolio?
Submitting a Portfolio:
To submit an Experiential Learning Portfolio in order to request credit to waive a course in your undergraduate certificate/diploma or degree program at Strayer University, please follow the following steps:
- Confirm that the course for which you would like to submit a portfolio is available for ELP credit. See the list of courses here or contact your home campus Academic Office.
- Review detailed information on completing an Experiential Learning Portfolio.
- Complete the Experiential Learning Application Form.
- Submit your Experiential Learning Application Form to the Academic Office at your home campus. If you are sending the Application Form electronically, please make sure you send it via e-mail to the Campus Dean.
- Pay the $250 fee per course through the Business Office at your campus.
Once the Dean has reviewed and approved your request, you will receive instructions on how to access the ELP course and contact information for an academic advisor who will support you in your efforts. You should expect to receive such information within 10 business days. You will then have 90 days to prepare and submit your portfolio. In your portfolio, you must demonstrate that at least 80% of the stated learning objectives for the course for which you are requesting credit are met.
Upon completing your portfolio, it will be analyzed by two independent evaluators. The evaluators will make a recommendation of pass, fail, or re-submit. Should you be requested to “resubmit”, the evaluators will identify specific items that should be incorporated in order to complete the portfolio. The deadline for completing a portfolio classified as a “resubmit” will be determined by the Dean of the School. You may only “resubmit” your portfolio one time.
Once the evaluation has been completed, you will receive notice from the Department Chair from the specific discipline. The evaluation period may take up to four weeks. The results will be forwarded to TEC to be included in your academic record.
Policies regarding Experiential Learning Portfolios (ELP):
- There is a non-refundable administrative fee of $250 for each portfolio submitted. Financial Aid or Veterans Education funds may not be used to fund ELP.
- An Experiential Learning Portfolio may not be applied for in a student’s final term.
- ELP credit is only available for undergraduate programs.
- Experiential Learning Portfolios are graded as pass/fail. ELP credit appears on your Online Academic Record as “TC” (for “transfer credit”). Current students may access their Online Academic Record through iCampus, Strayer University's Student Portal.
- If a non-passing final grade is given for a portfolio submitted for a specific course, that course must be taken for credit at Strayer University. It may not be fulfilled through any other prior learning credit option.
- ELP credit is counted toward a student’s total number of alternative credits. Credit granted does not apply toward the residency requirements of a certificate/diploma or degree program. Click here to see more information about residency requirements.