Skip to main section

How Can I Use Transfer Credits To Save On My Tuition?

Ready to finish your degree? Transferring your credits can possibly save you tuition and time. Here’s everything you need to know about different types of credit transfers so you can get your degree as fast as possible.


The most common transfer credits that students bring are those they earned from a previous undergraduate- or graduate-level degree program. But there are other types of credit you can apply to an undergraduate program. At Strayer, we make the transfer credit process as easy and as seamless as possible for you!


Strayer University accepts a wide range of courses for college transfer credit. If you’re looking to complete an undergraduate program, most credits with a C grade or higher from accredited institutions are eligible for transfer.

How many hours of credit you can transfer depends on which program you want to start. Here’s a breakdown of the maximum number of credits you might be eligible for:

  • 28 classes or 126 quarter hours of credit toward a bachelor’s degree
  • 14 classes or 63 quarter hours of credit toward an associate degree
  • 5 classes or 22.5 quarter hours of credit toward a diploma program

In addition, for accounting and computer-related area, we accept credits that have been earned within the last 10 years to ensure our students are leveraging relevant skills. If you earned your credits at a school outside the United States, Strayer University can accept transfer credits from your undergraduate program too, as long as they are deemed equivalent to coursework earned in the U.S.

Another great benefit Strayer offers: if you’ve earned your associate’s degree at one of our 460 allied partner schools (see the complete list of transfer credit alliances), you can apply all the credits from that program toward a related Strayer degree program!*


Strayer University also accepts partial credit hours, which can be applied directly to electives in your program. You can transfer credits in increments as low as half a credit hour. This can be helpful if you have credits from a community college or other school that grants fractional credits.


Strayer evaluates prior experience using a method developed by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) to help us assess the knowledge you’ve gained outside the classroom, on a course-by-course basis, for possible credit toward a degree. If you meet up to 70% of a course’s objectives, you may be able to apply life experience toward your undergraduate college credits.

If you’re a current member of the armed services or a veteran, you can use your experience as credits toward your degree. To do this, order your Joint Service Transcripts (JSTs), which will include any relevant training you’ve received. Our Registrar will review your transcripts and connect your experience in the military with equivalent learning outcomes in your program (if any). This is a great way to use your time in the service to count toward class partial credits in your electives.


You can apply up to 18 quarter hour credits toward a master’s degree program, and up to 13.5 quarter hour credits toward our MBA program.

For graduate program transfer credits, Strayer requires that you earned at least a B in your courses. Other requirements may apply, depending on the program credits you want to transfer.

As with undergraduate credits, Strayer accepts transfer credit for graduate programs from courses earned at international institutions too, as long as they are deemed equivalent to coursework earned in the U.S.

Learn more about applying transfer credits and other ways to save at Strayer University. Get in touch with an Admissions Officer to discuss your specific background and questions.

Transfer Credit Questions: Answered
Sign up for an
information session to learn even more about the transfer credit process.

*All courses are subject to Strayer University policies, including a ten-year limitation on courses in accounting and computer-related areas. Terms of individual agreements may vary. Check your school’s agreement for details.

Category: Value of a Degree

Published Date: May 9, 2019