Strayer University Irene Cook Stallard Scholarship
The Irene Cook Stallard Scholarship is awarded to one student per quarter to help them pursue their dream of earning a bachelor’s degree.
This award is made possible through the generosity of Dr. Sondra Stallard who served as the thirteenth president of Strayer University. The scholarship honors Dr. Stallard’s mother, Ms. Irene Cook Stallard, who has served as an inspiration to Dr. Stallard throughout her life.
Ms. Irene Cook Stallard entered college in her fifties and successfully completed her coursework while working full time – often on a swing shift – and was the first member of the Cook family to graduate.
Throughout her Strayer presidency, Dr. Sondra Stallard exemplified her mother’s passion and was inspired to provide academic opportunities and support to all students.
Winter Classes Start on January 2
- Eligibility requirements
- How to apply
- Selection criteria
- Have successfully completed an associate degree program from an accredited community college.
- Be a first-time bachelor’s degree seeking student.
- Meet all Strayer University admissions requirements.
- Seeking to enroll in a bachelor’s degree in a current program of study at Strayer University during fall 2023.
- Be available to start the program fall quarter 2023.
- Agreement with terms related to specific award and scholarship requirements for initial and continued eligibility for this scholarship.
- Full-tuition scholarships will be applied to recipients’ Strayer accounts equal to the cost of tuition and technology fee and books during the third week of each quarter or billing session, pending satisfaction of agreed-upon terms in award agreement and continued satisfaction of these requirements to receive the scholarship.
- The scholarship can only be applied to a bachelor’s degree program and is only available to individuals seeking their first bachelor’s degree.
- Recipients cannot take more than one quarter off in a row.
- Recipients who change to an ineligible program such as an associate degree program or master’s degree program, graduate, discontinue or withdraw from Strayer will have all future scholarship disbursements canceled.
- Recipients who switch to an ineligible program such as an associate degree program or master’s degree program, graduate, discontinue enrollment (i.e., are inactive for one quarter off) or otherwise withdraw from Strayer will forfeit all rights to the scholarship and have all future scholarship disbursements canceled. The scholarship automatically terminates upon graduation from Strayer.
- Recipients who do not remain enrolled through the first two weeks of the quarter or billing session will forfeit the award for the missed quarter or billing session. The missed quarter will count as an unenrolled quarter for purposes for continued scholarship eligibility.
- Recipients of this scholarship are not eligible for any other grants or scholarships offered by Strayer or any of its affiliates.
- The scholarship may decrease the amount of funding the recipient is eligible to obtain from other sources, such as federal financial aid.
- The scholarship is intended to address the cost of attendance including, but not limited to, tuition.
- Recipients of the scholarship must read and agree to terms presented in the award agreement prior to the start of their first quarter at Strayer and the first application of the scholarship funds.
- The scholarship may not be used by the same recipient for more than one degree program.
- Strayer University and its affiliates’ (Capella University, Devmountain, Hackbright Academy, JWMI, Sophia and Strategic Education, Inc.) faculty and staff, their spouses, domestic partners and dependent children are not eligible for the scholarship.
How to apply
- Download the application.
- Complete your application and submit it and the following documents to [email protected]. The subject line of the email should include your full name and “Strayer University Irene Cook Stallard Scholarship application.” Your application must include:
- The completed application, including the essay
- One letter of recommendation from a community college faculty or staff member on official school letterhead
- A copy of your college transcript showing completion of an associate degree from an accredited community college
- Comply with the Scholarship Requirements.
This application is due on Friday, Sept. 1, 2023, by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time. You will be notified by Friday, Sept. 15, 2023, as to whether you are a scholarship recipient.
The Strayer scholarship committee will select award recipients based on their ability to meet eligibility requirements; the content, clarity and substance of responses to the essay question; letter of recommendation; and completion of an associate degree from an accredited community college. Scholarship criteria are subject to state and federal law and may be modified to comply with applicable laws.